Dear Residents, Families, and Associates of Byron Park,
In a press release today, Contra Costa Health Services (CCHS) noted they are “evaluating whether the county should continue its current reopening timeline, due to recent data showing COVID-19 activity is increasing in the community. CCHS is closely monitoring key data indicators that show how the virus is spreading in the county and will announce a decision about the timeline Monday. During the past seven days, the number of COVID-19 patients in hospitals in the county has increased 42%. The seven-day average number of newly identified COVID-19 cases has increased from 39 a day to 68 a day. The positivity rate of test results – the percentage of COVID-19 tests that came back positive – has also increased. This suggests the change is not simply due to more testing but indicates a true increase in community spread. Any change to the timeline would immediately affect businesses and activities that are currently scheduled to resume July 1, including indoor dining, bars, gyms, hotels and some personal care services, including nail salons and tattoo parlors.”
The only change that this would alter in our reopening timeline would be nail services in our Salon. We ask that you continue to utilize the appropriate personal protective equipment such as masks and gloves in and out of the community. We thank you for your partnership in keeping Byron Park safe.
As we continue to live and work in our bubble at Byron Park, we are happy to announce we are moving up our timeline on outdoor dining just in time for the holiday. We will start with a soft opening to kick off 4th of July weekend with a Happy Hour and live music in the courtyard on July 3rd, 2020.
On 4th of July we will have several entertainment opportunities returning to the community. Saturday morning, I will be hosting a Sip and Paint party in the courtyard, followed by our first outdoor 4th of
July themed luncheon, and ending with Happy hour and Live music in the afternoon. Sunday we will have mimosas and lunch available in the courtyard. On Monday July 6th, 2020 we will begin accepting reservations for lunch and dinner. The courtyard will be reconfigured with new furniture so we can dine and imbibe safely while maintaining social distancing.
A separate flyer will be sent door to door next week with logistics and reservation instructions.
Lastly, we have reevaluated our policy for residents who are on an unending shelter in place due to weekly medically essential out of community appointments such as treatments or dialysis. This small subset of residents will be eligible to take an escorted outdoor walk with a Byron Park associate while wearing the required personal protective equipment. This exception does not apply to residents who are on a temporary quarantine.
We want to thank each of you for your continued support, partnership and commitment to our 4 pillars of safety which are – washing your hands frequently, complete our daily health screening and report when you are not feeling well, wear a mask for the entire duration you are in any common area or with other people and stay six feet physically distant.
Measures in place at Byron Park that will continue include:
1. We are continuing to restrict ALL visitors except Essential Visitors as follows:
a. “Compassionate” visits (only in instances of end-of-life)
b. Individuals directly providing essential health services
2. All essential visitors, residents and associates will be health screened and have daily temperature checks.
3. Any individual entering the community is required to sanitize their shoes/wear booties depending on role, sanitize/wash their hands, and wear proper personal protective equipment for the entire duration they are in the community, especially when in a resident apartment.
4. All residents are required to wear a mask when exiting their apartment for the entire duration they are in common areas/hallways. This includes the courtyard.
5. Residents who leave the community for any reason, are required to shelter in place for 14 days upon their return.
a. A wellness plan has been created to support during the duration of the shelter in place with daily focus on emotional, social, and physical wellness. For more details, please contact Ricardo Romero, Resident Relations Director for Independent Living residents and Joiedy Laco for Assisted Living residents.
6. All group dining will continue to be suspended until further notice.
a. Happy Hour will continue to happen every Friday afternoon and refreshments and daily snack carts will continue to be served to your apartment. We will not be serving happy hour or refreshments in common areas as group dining is currently suspended.
7. Transportation will continue for medical appointments only. Family can transport their loved one to medical/surgical appointments if needed but ask family to remain masked the entire time they are with their loved one.
8. Byron Park will continue to offer complimentary shopping and medication pick up.
9. Byron Park will continue to offer complimentary daily trash pick-up.
10. Complimentary daily package delivery will continue.
The following measures added June 1st, 2020:
1. Beginning June 2nd, 2020 daily scenic drives are available.
2. The fitness center will be available from 7am to 7pm for single person appointments (unless a couple who resides in the same apartment) in 35-minute increments.
3. The pool will be open from 7am to 7pm for single person appointments (unless a couple who resides in the same apartment) in 45-minute increments.
4. We have resumed Monthly Podiatry visits from Dr. Rizzo for all residents and our complimentary monthly Blood Pressure Clinic for independent living residents.
5. All wellness programs previously enjoyed will return to your calendar but modified in count size to maintain 6 feet physical social distancing. Masks are always required by all individuals in the community. Due to the strict restriction on headcount (6-10 people max indoors) we will offer the same class multiple times so all who want to participate can. A few examples of what is returning:
a. In person fitness classes led by our Wellness Team – Tai Chi, gentle stretch and weights and chair yoga to name a few.
b. Ted talks, armchair travels, museum tours and discussions.
c. In Person Bingo. Bingo will be played in the lecture with personal cards/tables.
d. Physical card games are unable to be played at this time due to it being a high touch activity that cannot be played 6 feet apart. We do however have an alternative to our favorites such as scrabble, rummikub and even bridge! We have multiple tablets and staff to assist with setting up virtual games that can be played in person. Each resident would be given a tablet and seated 6 feet apart and can enjoy their favorite games together.
6. Social Visits
a. While we are still requiring residents not socialize in each other’s apartments, we have the following locations available for social visits between residents between 7am and 10pm.
i. Private Living Room
ii. Main Living Room
iii. Courtyard (7am to 7pm)
1. These visits require advance reservation at the front desk (at least 30 minutes in advance), so we can ensure sanitation between these group visits.
7. Outdoor Musical Performances
a. We have added additional shade tents and a shade covering above the white trellis as well as reconfigured all the furniture in the courtyard to maintain social distancing requirements. We are happy to be able to enjoy live performances in the courtyard and can accommodate up to 20 people at each performance. Reservations and proper mask usage are required. See image1 attached for the new tent referenced.
8. Garden Room
a. The Garden Room is the new location for our “Romeo and Juliet Balcony”. Reservations are required in advance as it is first come first serve. Same day options may be available, inquiries are to be directed to the front desk. We have purchased a headphone and transmitter system to enhance this visit experience. The interim solution while this is in route is cell phones. A member of our team
will provide the phone number to you upon your arrival. You can access the Garden room by walking up the ramp located in the South Parking lot. See image 2 attached for the location for family to visit. b. Residents who are on a 14-day shelter in place due to having left the community, are now eligible for Garden Room visits. This is an enhancement from previous protocol, for more details call the front desk so you can be routed to the appropriate director based on your level of living.
9. Hair Salon
a. Our Salon will have its first set of appointments tomorrow June 20th, 2020. While we continue to look for a new long-term Operator, we have partnered with a local Salon owner to provide immediate service to our residents. After 32 years of service, our time with Cora’s Salon has come to an end. We thank Cora for her service to our community all these years!
If you have questions, comments, concerns, or would like to discuss any of our operations or sanitation protocols in more detail, please do not hesitate to reach out. We thank you for your support and feedback during these uncharted times.