Dear Residents, Families, and Associates of First Colonial Inn,
As we continue to navigate together through the COVID-19 pandemic together we are pleased to share that our residents remain COVID-free. In addition, we have had no new active cases among associates this week, and all those who were previously affected have recuperated and have returned to work. As a reminder, we will begin our bi-weekly ongoing surveillance testing of FCI associates and employees of Silver Strands Salon and Genesis Rehab next week. If at any point we receive a positive result we will conduct a thorough review to determine if there is a need for wider testing. This ongoing surveillance testing will allow us to keep a “pulse” on any potential COVID-19 activity in the FCI community.
The safety, health and well-being of our residents and associates will remain a priority. While the current COVID safety protocols and practices will remain in place, we remain committed to offering programs and developing new ones to allow residents to be engaged and socialize safely. Below are details of upcoming programs along with some of the “bright spots” of our week.
- We will be holding a Flu Shot Clinic for our residents and associates on October 6th. Please mark your calendars—more details to come soon!
- General Election (November 3) update: We recently distributed Virginia Vote by Mail applications to all residents as an option for voting in the upcoming election. Our transportation is currently limited to medical needs and scenic rides only, therefore we will not be providing transportation to the polls. Several residents have returned their applications to us, and those have been submitted to the Registrar for processing. If you need an application, they are available at the Front Desk. The deadline for you to submit the application to the Registrar is by 5pm, October 23.
- Talk Thursdays will begin on September 3rd. Many residents have voiced that they are missing our resident update and roundtable meetings. While we are unable to host a large group meeting, we can hold smaller group meetings and videotape them for all residents to view on Channel 1960. The department head leaders and I will rotate as hosts.
- Menu Mondays will begin airing on Channel 1960 on Monday, August 31. Brian and MJ will be hosting their own FCI TV show! Residents will have the opportunity to sign up to take part in the program each week, too. Brian and MJ will share details of the upcoming week’s menu and other Dining updates while gaining feedback from the “audience”.
- The Tasty Tuesday dish of Peking Duck was enjoyed by many this week. If you enjoy Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp be sure you don’t miss out on ordering it next Tuesday. We hope you enjoy!
- Residents were surprised on Sunday and Monday mornings by a visit from the “Do-Nut Be Happy” Fairy! She went door to door delivering Krispy Kreme donuts, coffee and happiness to all as you’ll see in the attached pictures.
- “Spirit Day” brightened up the community so much that we’ve since done it again–twice! As you will see in some of the pictures, we shone bright in purple (the color of ambition, peace, independence, creativity and dignity) and orange (the color of enthusiasm, happiness, encouragement, strength and endurance). Please join us in wearing red on our next community Spirit Day, Monday, 8/24.
- The Kings Choir brought music to our ears yesterday as part of our outdoor Summer Concert Series. Residents were so happy to have had the opportunity to attend and enjoy the music together. Juleah has been rotating the invites to 50 residents at a time so all may have a chance to attend. We look forward to our next concert on Wednesday, 8/26, with the fun sounds of Lyle and Linda!
Thank you for the continued support of FCI as we navigate this pandemic together. Our continued positive thoughts and prayers for everyone’s good health are with each of you. Please let me know if you have any concerns or questions. We appreciate your questions, feedback, and support.