Dear Residents, Families, and Associates of First Colonial Inn,
I am pleased to share that the FCI associates and employees of Silver Strands Salon and Genesis Rehab who were tested in last week’s COVID-19 surveillance testing received negative results. As a reminder, we are conducting ongoing bi-weekly surveillance testing that will allow us to keep a “pulse” on any potential COVID-19 activity in the FCI community. Our next testing will be held next week on Wednesday, 9/9. If at any point we receive a positive result we will conduct a thorough review to determine if there is a need for wider testing. We greatly appreciate our residents’ and associates’ efforts in maintaining the safety protocols and practices as it attributes to the fact that our residents have remained COVID-free and we have had no new active cases among associates this week.
As we continue to face this pandemic together, we are also taking small steps to safely progress forward. We are very happy to see our lobby become vibrant once again! It was great to see so many residents chatting and enjoying each other’s company as they checked in on their mailboxes and met us in the lobby for temperature checks. I also had the opportunity this week to get together with small groups of residents who participated in this week’s Dining Focus Group and Talk Thursday program. It was a great feeling to get back to some programs that we have enjoyed hosting in the past. Below are some additional “bright spots” from our week, along with some other reminders.
- The entertaining sounds of the quartet, Fond Memories, got our day started out right last Saturday as you will see in the pictures below. The weather was perfect (the sun was hiding) as we sang along to some favorite songs. They even took requests which added extra fun to the show. The last concert of the Summer Concert Series will be held on 9/10 and will showcase the sounds of Demi Dalada. The music won’t stop here, though, as Wine Down Wednesdays are coming soon.
- We know how much our residents have missed getting together at the weekly Happy Hour so Wine Down Wednesdays are on their way! Beginning on 9/16 the Dining and Wellness teams will host a weekly Happy Hour in the back courtyard for 50 residents. Residents will be invited (rotated by floor) to these events where they can enjoy each other’s company, great music, and refreshments including wine and beer (non-alcoholic available, too). And thanks to a great suggestion from one of the residents we will be having a “VIP” section for our newer residents who have joined us over the past few months. This will be a great way for introductions to be made! The entertainment on 9/16 will be brought to us by Frank Sings Frank.
- The residents and associates have always had a competitive spirit when it comes to contests, so get ready to put your thinking caps on! Juleah has developed a fun new game, “Guess Who I Am?” All residents and associates are welcome to participate by filling out a questionnaire about yourself. The facts of a couple of people will then be listed in the next newsletter and you will get to guess who the person is for your chance to win a prize. All of us will be winners, though, as we will be getting to know some fun facts about each other! The questionnaires were recently distributed to resident internal mailboxes, but if you need another copy of the questionnaire, we have extra copies located at the Front Desk.
- September has brought on a new round of “Spirit Days” for the community. Residents and associates have enjoyed these theme days that bring us together—often via some pretty creative outfits! This week we will be wearing blue on Sunday, our favorite football jerseys or t-shirts on Thursday and the colors red, white and blue on Friday (Patriot’s Day). And to get your minds thinking—Wacky Sock Day will be held on 9/15!
- Flu Shot Clinic reminder: We will be hosting a Flu Shot Clinic here on October 6th for all residents and associates. A flyer with all of the details will be distributed to residents in the next couple of weeks as we will set up appointment times to attend similar to how we had it set up for the community-wide COVID testing.
- Visit Station update: Our new and improved tent has arrived, and David has met with our landscaping team. They plan to begin the work on relocating the inner courtyard “dog station” and the walkway updates this week, and once that is complete, we will get the new tent up, the Visit Station transitioned to its new location and then begin our set up for an alfresco dining option!
As you see in the picture below even the Daniel’s “grand dog”, Bella, made a visit to the Visit Station this week along with her parents, Rob and Alison. We enjoyed your visit!
- Silver Strands Salon reminder: We are still abiding by COVID safety protocols; therefore, it is important to remember that appointments must be made via phone at 757-615-7373. Only two residents and two salon employees are allowed in the salon at a time, therefore the Silver Strands team cannot stop what they are doing when someone knocks on the door. Also, when you have an appointment someone from Silver Strands will call you when they are ready for you as sometimes appointments may be running behind. They try their hardest to get everyone in on time, but at times there may be delays for various reasons. At this time there is no additional seating available for those who may be waiting for their appointment, so it is best to wait for their call. We appreciate your patience with this process!
Thank you for the continued support of FCI as we continue to navigate through this pandemic together. Our continued positive thoughts and prayers for everyone’s good health are with each of you. Please let me know if you have any concerns or questions. We appreciate your questions, feedback, and support.